Wednesday, October 3, 2007

your grace IS enough for me

OK, OK...I know what you're thinking... "another a blog entry with the title of a well known praise and worship song..." and you're right! There is a difference, however. This one is by Chris Tomlin and not Matt Redman!! (not that that makes any significant difference).

The theological definition of grace is "the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God." I think this is probably the best way that a definition of the word can be articulated, and still I don't know that it is enough. When I think of "grace" I think of something so beautiful and something so undeserving. The fact of the matter is that all the good deeds in the world won't boost you to a state where you are deserving of grace. period. When I think of grace, I think of something so scandalous, something that is almost offensively beautiful.

Furthermore, the hope of grace is the basis of our faith as Christians. You absolutely cannot discipline yourself to be living as "good" as you can where you can assure yourself a place in the kingdom. The only hope we have is this offensive grace we have absolutely no way of proving exists. This is what makes faith faith. The essence of faith is blindly believing something you have no way of being able to absolutely prove. If you can prove it, it's not faith.

This grace we're not sure about is all we have to cling onto. Growing up in a Christian school with differing theological opinions than mine, I often times heard people saying this or that person is "leading a 'casual Christian' lifestyle." I've heard this or that person is "not living as they should." What does that even mean? If a believer is a believer, than the Grace of God covers them. Too many times we try to restrain this beautiful, scandalous, audacious, offensive grace.

I know we are instructed not to continue in sin that grace may abound, and we are instructed the perfection Christ had. Not sinning, however, is unattainable. I believe that God judges the condition of people's hearts. I don't think we are judged based on the individual sinful acts we commit daily. If we were, we'd all be screwed. I believe that whether one is a true believer or not is judged by whether or not they are a slave to their sin. If they're not "made to be the righteousness of God," than they're not a Christian. If they're living an remorseless lifestyle of sin, they haven't experienced God, they don't know the great victory in Grace.

Romans talks about the "transformation" that takes place when one enters in to salvation. This transformation is described as a "renewing of your mind." This does not say a "renewing of your actions." In fact, it clearly says a "renewing of your mind." Now, I believe that there's an obviously an outward change, but this is not where the transformation is. The outward change is not a direct cause of salvation. It is an indirect cause of salvation, and a direct attribute of the transformation of the mind. If your mind is transformed your life will be changed. You will think differently. Your desires will not be the same. This transformation yields the result of running head on towards Christ.


Too may times we place so much emphasis on the outward change as opposed to the transformation that yields a "renewing of the mind." It is wrong when we see people sin, and strike them for not "living as they should." Is God's grace not enough? We aren't called to be content with watching brothers live in sin, but we are called to live with grace as Christ lived with grace. If we see our brother or sister living a lifestyle of sin, we are called to rebuke him/her. We are also, however, to live with great grace, and not be judgmental when we know the person is passionately running toward Christ. Not only are we called to live with grace, we are called to trust in this great grace we have hope in.


God, remind me of your grace, and help me to live in grace. Give me discernment, and make me not so damn judgmental. Show me what it means to live in grace, and help me to know that your grace is all I need. Your grace is enough for me!

p.s. happy birthday, mom.

No comments: