Sunday, September 2, 2007

I'm Coming Back to the HEART of Worship

Hold on to your hats, folks! I just had a very interesting thought.

As most of you know, I'm dating a girl that is part of a church community that worships in Spanish. I have told her on multiple occasions that I would like to attend a service there, but of course I don't speak Spanish. One would think "there's obviously a language barrier that would interfere with you being able to worship," right?

The more and more I think about it the more and more I want to go experience it. Of course I wouldn't know the words to the songs, but who cares? I think all too often we get caught up in the words, and our own knowledge keeps us from experiencing true worship. Fact of the matter is that not knowing the words could make for a better worship experience. One wouldn't be focused on keeping the beat or staying on pitch. One would be focused on one thing --worshiping God. O, how awesome that would be.

Now, I'm not going to post the words to the Matt Redman song that is the title of this post, but the song basically talks about a heart seeking God rather than a body seeking attention. The song seeks to make people realize that we shouldn't focus on words or the beat or whether the choir is on tempo. It clearly seeks to put the focus of our worship on Christ. "it's all about you, it's all about you, Jesus."

My theory is this: If I don't know the words, I can't try to "perform" or whatever. I'd be standing there like a mumbling idiot just praising God. I'm not focused on singing on pitch or knowing the words. I'm focused on one thing --glorifying God.

Then comes the preaching. I obviously wouldn't understand the words coming out of the preacher's mouth, but does that mean that I couldn't get anything out of it? I think not. First of all, I believe that one can decipher a lot just based on non-verbal communication. However, I also believe in the Lord's ability to break down language barriers. Would I go in expecting a mystical miracle where I hear everything in English? no. In fact, I would hope to continue to hear in Spanish. I do believe that the Lord would teach me. And I could continue in my worship. It would be quite the experience indeed.

I hear of way too many churches or individuals that attend a specific church whining and complaining of how there's no traditional hymns being played in worship. First of all, as one who has studied philosophy, I would have to ask how one defines "traditional." Then, after hearing aforementioned definition, (which, by the way, would most likely consist of "the way you do it is too fast" or "we're used to an organ" or "i don't like the drums" or "it's too loud.") I would have to go one step further and ask "how do you know that to be the correct definition?"

See, there really is no "traditional." There is "the way things have been done," and there is "the way things will be done." At times they can overlap, but both are constantly changing and progressing, transforming. In the context of worship, however, I must ask why we are concerning ourselves with petty issues of "Why isn't there an organ in the worship room?" Seriously, if you have a heart seeking worship as opposed to a heart that is seeking a certain sound or a heart seeking confrontation you really have to step back and ask yourself..."who gives a damn?"

God, help me not to lose focus of the heart of worship. Bring me back there. Make me realize that It's all about you no matter what the words say, no matter how long the bassist's hair is, no matter whether the worship leader is bare-footed, no matter how loud the music is...no matter what. Create in my heart a passion for seeking to live a lifestyle of worship...for YOUR glory. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

honestly i really liked reading your opinion, and i liked just about everything you have to say. but cursing at the end of a blog about worship really does a lot to discredit you. im not saying any thing bad about you for using the word but its just another thing that people could use to help miss the intention of the whole page. in the eighth chapter of corinthians paul talks about how he stops eating meat so that no one can judge him for the action,and in doing so he can reach out to more people.